Elder Trevor Aiken

Elder Trevor Aiken

Monday, November 21, 2016

Happy Thanksgiving!


     What a great week! I got to play basketball for one of the very few times on my mission and I finally got to just practice my shot for about an hour. And it is coming back! Finally! I am getting that lefty love back in my shot!


     Best of all, we've been hitting the pavement all week trying to find new investigators and to build kankei (relationships) with the youth on the island. We went to a high school basketball game (which is nothing like America by the way.) There were four parents, no students, no other fans, no cheerleaders. Nothin. It was so quiet. So sad.  We met a principal of one of the schools and talked to him about teaching his kids English at his school which is a huge miracle you don't even know! He said he wants to call our branch president and talk to him about it. Hopefully we will call and talk to him and we can set something up!

     Also, my brother Brock had his birthday! Brock thank you for being the best big brother/twin ever! Everyone you better wish my brother happy birthday! Give him something nice ok! Wrap it up, put some love in there. No elephant giving.  Brock I hope you had the best birthday ever. We are 90% the same and that will never change! The 10% comes from the annoying little brother complex which stops further progress. 
     Anyone who was at my house when I opened my call will probably remember that I said "I never thought this day would come but here it is." I couldn't believe the time had come for me to serve a mission. That happened again yesterday when I hit my 6th months-to-go mark. The last stretch. It has gone so fast. I can't believe I am already to that point. Where has the time gone... it seems like a dream.  I hit my ending 6th month mark and my companion hit his starting 6th month mark. I am one year ahead of him to the day. When I hit that first 6th month mark I was in this same zone one month earlier... oh boy. I'm old. So fast. Yet at the same time I have grown so much and had so many trials, hard experiences, moments of pure joy, and soooo much change, that it seems like this mission has been a whole different life.  The person before my mission truly seems like another life. My mission saved me. The Savior gave me my life so how could I not give just these 2 years? I thought I would show the Lord my gratitude by giving Him this mission but it has been the exact opposite. I have not paid anything in these two years. I have only received. Only been given. I can't believe I saw these 2 years as a sacrifice. I gave up seeing football games and blockbuster movies to see the kingdom of heaven at work. It has been an amazing year and a half. 
     Almost every single sister I have known is gone home now. Every one I knew in the MTC, at BYU, or came to Japan with has gone home or goes home in 2 weeks. So fast.  Without tone of voice and seeing me in person it is hard to really show my love and testimony for this gospel, but I want to testify with all of the power of my soul that this church is true. This work is a stone cut out of a mountain without hands and will spread throughout all the earth. It is the Lord's work. I know it is true! I will never deny it! I love this work and I love my Lord. Anyone who is thinking or has ever thought about serving a mission, serve! Just Serve. Don't doubt, or think of how hard it will be because it is the best decision you will ever make. It will change your life if you let it. I truly want all of you to know that this is without comparison, without a doubt the best time of my life. Way better than BYU and BYU was amazing. It holds 100 times more worth than just about anything I did before my mission. And I treasure every day. I have found true joy. When we strive for joy, remember, it is only found when we seek for it in the right priority. 
Jesus Christ
Others
Yourself

Also since we are on the acronyms today here is another one I loved that a member told me yesterday. 
Father 
And
Mother
I
Love
You 

I love you all! Have the best week ever and Happy Thanksgiving!
Love,
Elder Trevor Aiken! 

No comments:

Post a Comment